Thursday 24 January 2013

Another Day, Another Downward Facing Dog


I have always struggled to commit to my home practice and I don't know why.  It seems easier to get up early, travel to the closest yoga studio and practice with an instructor for 90 minutes than stay home and commit to the same thing.  Maybe it's because I've made a commitment and feel the need to follow through or maybe being at home reminds me that I not only have to practice yoga but accomplish 100 other things.  The good news is last night I was productive and managed to squeeze in 45 minutes before bed.  

There was nothing stunning about my practice; there were no acrobatics, handstands or arm balances but hopefully as I continue this blog my posts can include some of these small victories (I will include photos of my progress).  I tried to focus on matching my breath with my movement and stuck with some of the essential positions, one of them being Downward Facing Dog.


This pose looks quite simple but can come back to ‘bite’ you the next day as it works your arms and shoulders.  There are also a number of different health benefits attached to each pose. For the benefits of Downward Facing Dog check out this link from the Yoga Journal:


Needless to say the first attempt at my home practice was a success and I look forward to where it leads me.  Monday I'm headed to a Moksha Yoga studio. It should be a blast so expect a blog update following class.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely prefer yoga at home rather than gym...but I have the same lack of motivation! Also, gotta love DD, but when I'm out of shape (like now) it's so much harder to get those heels on the ground than you'd think! Ouch -.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, I enjoy yoga so much yet don't end up going because it doesn't fit into my student budget. But I never think to be realistic and practice at home! I guess it's easier to follow an instructor's lead rather than make up my own routine. Enjoy Moksha, hot yoga is phenomenal! Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DVDs all the way! I never make up my own routine.

      Delete