Friday 1 March 2013

This One's for the Bros



Since I have been attending yoga classes I have come to realize that the classes I attend are female dominated. I’m not sure why this is, maybe some men feel weird taking a class dominated by women or that yoga might not help them with their overall fitness. Fear not gentlemen, there has been a fad going on for a while called Broga, a yoga class dedicated to all male classes.

The Broga classes don’t differ much from any regular yoga class, they still focus on balance, flexibility and building self awareness, but as The Globe and Mail states “Yoga for guys means more Radiohead, less Enya.”

I think this is a great tactic to allow everyone to feel comfortable and reap the benefits a yoga class has to offer. Everyone deserves to de-stress, relax and get fit in a place they feel at ease.

So to all of the men, Bro Montana’s, dudes and muchachas out there go try a Broga class because you never know you might find the Jobin to your Pistol or just realize that you really like yoga.

10 comments:

  1. Alana! Best post so far!
    I would die to be a fly on the wall of the yoga session and find some man find his one and only pistol. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate this. This is a perfect example of the gender binary that disallows for equality. Guys can only do something once the "feminine" or "less than" is removed from it. Then it's okay. This disgusts me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised to see that at my last yoga class, there were 7 men. Most were "dragged there" by their wives, girfriends, etc. It will be interesting to see if they attend next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! John and I just argued over starting yoga, happy to see there is a 'bro' alternative lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My one friend Steve literally goes to yoga like 7-10 times a week. While it is female dominated, I do know a fair amount of guys that regularly do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you Alana! I think this is a great idea. Everyone deserves a place where they can feel comfortable while they de-stress, that's the point :) Plus "the Jobin to your Pistol" made me lol in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, Zach, I was thinking of Steve as soon as I read this post as well.

    I did a fair bit of yoga in the THC-clouded years of my undergraduate education. I was usually the only guy in the class and thoroughly enjoyed it -both the yoga and being the only guy.

    In fact, being surrounded by fit and focused women was the major selling point for me. I don't think I'd attend to this Broga business. Being completely surrounded by other dudes sweating and struggling to find their "chi", takes away much of the appeal of yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Broga, eh? Hmmmm...sounds suspicious. And I actually love Enya...so maybe I'm actually more suited for Yoga....

    Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. men doing yoga is not so shocking -- perhaps soon we'll see an article about the novelty of women wearing (gasp!) pants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Veterans Hospital in Phoenix, AZ. now offers two free yoga classes per week, one of which is taught by a man. There also is one class per week for employees only. The owner/directer of one of the larger yoga studios in town is a man. He is also a former Army Infantry Captain. This guy is no wimp. (much respect Yogi E.) I agree, "Broga" sound suspicious.

    ReplyDelete